Coffee from the Old Country

Two antique postcards hang on my office wall. These family heirlooms transport me to a place and time I never experienced but heard about as a child. These ghostcards are the fodder of my daydreams whenever I need a distraction to disconnect from the craziness of 21st century life.
My paternal grandmother’s family lived in Vienna prior to World War II. They owned an impressive building and small grocery store specializing in roasting Colombian coffee. Emil Herrmann was my grandmother’s brother (name appears above the door of the building.)  Emil may be the dapper gent photographed in front of the store (below.) We’re not sure of the identities of the others posing in front of the building – I’ll leave that to your imagination. The second postcard features a close-up of  the store’s facade. I am always fascinated by the variety of coffee and tea products they offered, especially considering we’re talking almost 100 years ago!
If anyone out there can translate these signs for me, I would love to hear from you. Also, if you can identify where this is/was located in Vienna and any additiional information, it would be greatly appreciated.
My family’s always enjoyed coffee; as you can see it’s been a staple for generations. I remember drinking it as early as 13. I’d like to think that my grandmother would be proud of how I peddle coffee today and how I am carrying on the family business.

, , , ,

6 Responses to Coffee from the Old Country

1. Carol Burgard January 28, 2011 at 10:26 am #

Interesting…I love the pictures and the history. Thanks for sharing this.

• admin January 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

Glad you enjoy this!

2. Rhonda January 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

I am forwarding this to my friend Martina in Vienna. Perhaps she will recognize the building! (I certainly don’t from the 3 days I spent with her in the old city!)

• admin January 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

One day I hope to get to Vienna and find this building. It would be terrific if you share this with your friend. Wish I had more info to send you on this, but I’m just left with these two postcards.

3. Dana Burgard February 1, 2011 at 11:21 am #

I had a look at the signs on the store front. They look to be advertisements for what was being sold in the store. From left to right the signs read “foreign cocoa and chocolate” “special columbian blend coffee” “Date-coffee, rice, raisins, almonds, jam, and olive oil” and “Russian and Chinese tea, rum, cognac and liquors” There is more, but I couldn’t read the smaller writing.

• admin February 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm #

Thank you for your translation. Your work is making the postcard come alive!